With a shortage on news thanks to the lockout, there isn’t much to do except to continue on with my mock draft. On the clock today are picks 13 – 14. To recap:
1. Carolina – Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver – DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson
3. Buffalo – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
4. Cincinnati – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
5. Arizona – Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
6. Cleveland – AJ Green, WR, Georgia
7. San Francisco – Robert Quinn, DE/LB, UNC
8. Tennessee – Nick Fairly, DT, Auburn
9. Dallas – Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
10. Washington – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
11. Houston – Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
12. Minnesota – Cameron Jordan, DE, California
With the thirteenth pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College. The Lions need to keep Matthew Stafford healthy for a change, and that starts by keeping him off of the ground. There were several prospects in this range that are intriguing, but Castonzo has the size at 6’7”, 305 and the experience to be the top offensive lineman in the draft.
With the fourteenth pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin. The Rams would love to take a WR in this spot, but the top guys will be long gone. While they have a good young DE in Chris Long, he will be more effective with another disruptive force creative havoc. Watt put up an impressive 34 reps on the bench press at the combine, and at 6’6” he has the size to bull rush his way into the backfield.