Most people figure Carson Palmer is worthless now that Andy Dalton is around. I don’t. So here are my five best reasons to not trade Carson Palmer right now:
1. He still gives the Bengals the best chance to win in 2011.
2. There’s uncertainty about the 2012 draft, both in terms of rookie wages and where teams will be picking. I’d prefer that the Bengals wait until they know exactly which pick they’re getting before making a trade. A No. 4 pick is quite different than a No. 24 pick.
3. Dalton will be better if he’s given time to develop. And something tells me he’ll be playing pretty quickly if Jordan Palmer or Dan LeFevour become our starting quarterbacks.
4. You never want players to be able to force their way out. Ever.
5. In the end, I don’t believe Palmer will really retire. It would be mighty difficult to pass up about $11 million to play football. Mike Brown might win the game of chicken.