October 31, 2014

Carson Palmer to return to the Bengals?

So the speculation now (thanks to an article on Profootballtalk.com) is that because Carson has not filed retirement papers, he may return to the Bengals. Speculation also states this could be a strategic move by Palmer to force the hand of Mike Brown to trade or release him.

“The end game for both sides remains unclear. Palmer possibly hasn’t officially retired in order to preserve his ability to show up on a moment’s notice, if he decides to do so. By reporting, for example, in the days before the first game of the season, the Bengals would have to decide quickly whether to cut him or to keep him, given that his base salary becomes fully guaranteed as of Week One.”

Mike Florio theorizes that Carson could return right before the first game and force Mike Brown’s hand or guarantee Carson’s 11.5 million dollar salary for the year. However, it is a little more complicated than that. There would be a grace period for the Bengals and Carson would need to pass the conditioning and physicals in order to be active. (Think Haynesworth on the Redskins)

What it would do would be to distract the Bengals and become a media nightmare for a team that is supposed to have a rough year as it is.

Fans calling for Carson’s return need to think about the big picture if in fact he did return. There would be chaos for a team that has prepared all season around a rookie quarterback. Also, Carson led this team to 4 wins last year so to expect he improves the Bengals drastically is a joke.

Look, Carson was great for the Bengals while he was here. But, he is gone, let him go. The Bengals have made the shift to the players that still want to play in stripes and the fans need to follow along. There will be lumps to take this season, but they are growing pains and not the sucktitude of knowing the Bengals are going 4 and 12 with a bunch of vets.

Comments

1. sammyd21 says:

“The Bengals have made the shift to the players that still want to play in stripes and the fans need to follow along”

Follow Along? I’ve been following along for 20 years, how has that worked out for me. I hope Carson reports to camp and helps blow this team up. I wouldn’t sit by without creating a stir. Mike Brown liked him when he kept his mouth shut and just followed along with his program. He has a reconstructed knee and elbow and no playoff wins to show for it.

Mike Brown has created the most laughable professional sports franchise in American history and I’m suppposed to follow along. I’ve more than jumped ship. I’m cheering againt Mike Browns team until hes gone.

• Number 1 Fan says:

Sammy, this post was intended for Bengals fans and people that actually still root for the team. I hope you feel better now after posting that but your logic is flawed.

Dalton over Palmer has nothing to do with why you feel you have wasted 20 years of your life rooting for the Bengals.

Also, the Bengals are no longer in camp so if he reports he will be the only one there.

Lastly, Carson signed the 100 million dollar contract and new the deal he was making then. I don’t feel bad for him now, you make a deal with the devil, you need to suffer the consequences.

2. sammyd21 says:

“socalled” number1fan

Losers lose, is there something wrong with that logic?

I am and always will be a Bengal fan. I’ve rooted for this team for 30 years but what I’ve realized is that if I continue to support the status quo, which is the ironed fisted rule of Mr. Incompetent, Mike Brown, then I’m the fool. I want this franchise to be successful but there is no evidence that current management can even come close to making that a reality. I’m not a Carson fan. Never really warmed up to him but It’s the way Brown decided to make a stand against his franchise quaterback over the welfare of the team that sent me over the edge.

I don’t feel bad for Palmer either but if he can help make Brown’s life even more frustrating then bring him back to Cincinnati. I feel like I’m being abused and have noone to turn to for help against the perpertrator, Mike Brown. If Palmer can make is life more miserable then please Carson do your thing.

Panthers 27- Bengals -9, perputate the futility.

• Number 1 Fan says:

Glass is half empty huh?

Making a comment like “Losers lose” is pretty moronic. Than why even show up. You claim to be this big fan but obviously are struggling with what it means to be a fan. You root for the Bengals to win, you hope they win, you can not change the direction of the team so why take it so hard when they don’t.

Look outside man, the sun is shining and it is a good day, life is not that miserable.

Brown could not trade Palmer until the lockout was lifted, then the offers were terrible. A 3rd round pick is not going to help this team much at all. Keeping Palmer either forces him to play or allows you to revisit the trade market when:

1. A starter goes down during the season and a better trade offer is proposed or
      2. Next offseason before the draft when teams over pay for everything.

Go ahead, attack me, my site whatever. Claim to be a better fan because you can see through the bullshit of Mike Brown, but know the truth. Fans like you are really just bandwagon. It is really easy to root for a team when they are winning, it is when they are not that the fans stick by them.

Hoping Dalton and the rest of the Bengals do well tonight and this season makes a fan a fan. Rooting for chaos and the team to suck makes you an asshole.

I would rather be a fan than an asshole.

• AdamWaters says:

First of all… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socalled
      Maybe you meant to put a space in there, but I like to think you are assuming Number 1 Fan is a Canadian Rapper.

So you are a fan of the Benga, and have been a fan for 30 or whatever years, and you say you even want them to do well so you don’t feel abused anymore. You were never a Carson fan and are not a Mike Brown fan.
      Yet you want Carson and Brown to stir up a shit ton of drama at the Teams expense… yeah, that’s a great idea. All I read above is, “I love this team so much that I want it to rain shit on them until they win.”

3. sammyd21 says:

Harsh words buddy. I always name call when I can’t prove a point using logic.

Glass is completely empty.

They show up to get paid and/or get experience, then move on, Dillon, Justin Smith, Boomer, Spikes, Ochocinco, T.J., Joseph, Palmer, Steinbach, on and on.

I’ve rooted for them to win for 30 years but now am rooting for them to be a perpetual contender. Winning one season is nice but the Bengals win one season then back step for 4 or five years etc. You know 2 winning seasons in the last 20 or whatever is unacceptable. I’m calling for a new attitude and will not support the business as usual attitude by the Bengals front office and punk fans like you. I’m cheering for a change of guard and supporting this patched together group of 2nd stringers will only bring the usual disappointment.

It is a good day everywhere except in Bengal land. I’m not arguing the point from Palmer’s situation only. I’m speaking from 20 years of evidence that the Brown family cannot win. The Palmer situation is one of many nails in the coffin of the resume of Mike Brown as an owner. If he revisits Palmer and uses him to help the team later, even into next season then I’ll admit you were right. If Palmer moves on without any benefit to the Bengals or retires then you will have a big fat spoiled egg on your face.

As far as raining ‘shiet’ on them until they win, I would rather bring the pain and light a fire than coddle and cry with a bunch of football sissies until they finish wiping their noses and hope they can put together a winning season.

• AdamWaters says:

Cowboy
      I’m a cowboy

Now there’s no tomorrow
      Only yesterday
      To live in the past
      Is to ride your life away

I can feel in my bones
      I will die all alone
      Back down to the ground
      Let the sage brush wait for me

Ride like a tumbleweed, rollin free
      At night I look to the stars
      That’s when I heard a voice speak to me
      “You are never alone”
      Lailailailailailailailailai
      At night I look to the stars
      Lailailailailailailailailai
      Well they say got it from me

Cowboy
      You are never alone
      I’m a cowboy

sigh…

No name calling, just calling it like it is. The only point I was trying to prove with logic is that you are not a very good fan for 1 or 30 years. You are helping me to prove that.

Lets see, you want the Bengals to lose miserably: check.
    You want Dalton to fail: Check
    You want no success for this season from this team: check.

Yep, you sir are a wonderful fan. Why don’t you take your miserable attitude back over to WhoDeyRevolution where like minded individuals can all wallow in their misery.

You see, I will be waving the black and orange flag tonight at the game. Call me a sheep, or worse, I don’t care. I will still be a better fan than you.

5. sammyd21 says:

you’re a cowboy

I’m a tiger. I’m hungry, kill my prey to eat today, and tomorrow. I’ve learned from the past that going hungry sucks!

6. sammyd21 says:

look man, I would love for you to prove me wrong but I’ve realized that there is no hope for this team with Brown at the helm.

I would love for Dalton to have a successful career and win 10 superbowls in Cincinnati, will it happen, even 1, no. I don’t believe it. History repeats itself and if Bengals history repeats itself under Mike Brown then we have 2 more playoff games to look forward to in the next 20 years with 0 victories.

You say I’m not a very good fan. I’ve watched every snap from this team (unless they were blacked out and I wasn’t at the game) for 30 years and feel like they are a part of me. So if I have someone in my life that is a complete screw up year after year there is a time when you have to quit with the compassion and start getting tough with them. Quit supporting the garbage that Brown is puttiing on the field with your hard earned money.

You say I can’t change what happens. I can’t alone but if all bengal fans put their wallets in their pockets instead of in Mike Brown’s bank account then he might start getting the message.

I hear you, that thought has been around for a long time. In the 90′s the Stadium was pretty bare and nothing changed.

8. sammyd21 says:

True, but you see that as soon as it looked like they might have a chance to start winning the fans came out of the woodwork.

I believe that the Bengals have one of the best fan bases in the NFL. If they could start competing on an annual basis the jungle would be a madhouse. That is why I’m sounding off every chance I get for Brown to step down and hire an experienced GM. If he did just that, they would sell out all games for that year, regardless of the inexperience of the players.

sammyd21:

“Panthers 27- Bengals -9, perputate the futility.”

This “punk fan” hopes that you come back and eat the crow from that call. I will prepare it any way you like.

Dalton and crew looked good last night. Super bowl run? Nope, maybe better than the first two games showed? Probably.

WhoDey

10. Kenny Moore says:

Any Bengal fan that says he does not want Palmer back is lying and they know it. Sure Carson only led this team to 4 wins but Palmer is a top 10 QB in this league. He has played behind a horrible line for the past 3 or 4 seasons and the front office (Mike Brown) has done a piss pure job of replacing talent for him.

I am disgusted that Palmer quit on this city and team but can you blame him. Mike Brown can suck the life out of a player and city. When Ohio State has better facilities than you do, it’s a shame. Every cold weather team has a practice facility (bubble, not for sure what they are called) except for Cincy. Mike Brown has the sweetest stadium deal in the NFL and has been raking in money ever since PBS opened, so there is no escuse for the sub-par weight rooms and lack of practice facility.

• Number 1 Fan says:

Kenny,

Carson had a chance to make this play before he signed his 100 million dollar contract so that is not a good point. The facilities and line were the same then.

I don’t want Carson back and I am not lying. He was not the talent in the last few years that he was his first few.

• Lets be honest Carson hasn’t been a top 10 QB since ’06. He showed flashes of that potential for a season or two. But over all his leadership and win/loss have been average at best. If Carson couldn’t be the leader last year (with the talent/potential) for the bengals to rally behind he can’t be that leader this year after all that has been said and done.

He had his chance it’s gone. Move on. He’ll bounce around the league next season like Gracia did or McNabb is now. For the 11-12 season he is sitting.

11. Enoughisenough says:

I AGREE WITH THIS TOTALLY – ENOUGH ALREADY…IT”S TIME TO FIGHT BACK WITH EVERY TOOL POSSIBLE! WAKE UP IF YOU ARE HAVE MISSED THE PASSED! SO EMBARRASSING!

12. Enoughisenough says:

So pissed forgot how to spell…Mike Brown must go or brought to his knees in the attempt! He is an embarrassment to everyone that live in Cincinnati.

WAKE TRUE FAN! True fans fight back not just bend over!

Enoughisenough,

I am not sure if you agree with the article, or the guy who wants Palmer back.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Ugly:  One of Mickey’s latest posts got some interesting comments this week.  I guess there are Palmer fans out there after [...]

2. [...] Ugly:  One of Mickey’s latest posts got some interesting comments this week.  I guess there are Palmer fans out there after [...]