First Draft

Would the Bengals draft Michael Floyd if he were available next spring? Hmmm...
Previous Article
Analyzing the Non-TD Call
  1. Dylan Gaffnet says:

What about Cordy Glenn from Georgia at LG? Man is a monster.

Early grades have him going in the second round. The Bengals seem to like players from Georgia. They’ll look at him.

3. Seubs says:

Hell yeah I’d draft Floyd in a heartbeat. Like you said Nate, who you gonna cover? I think they’ll let Simpson and Caldwell go in FA. Gonna need another deep threat on the outside opposite of Green while Shipley and Hawk continue to man the interior of the field with Cochart and Gresham. Then if he’s not tendered, I’d go after Matt Forte in FA.

any secondary help Nate? A safety could help a ton on this defense.

5. Chaz (Siegfried and Rey) says:

Need to spend our two #1s on CB and DT – both positions are thin in this draft, and both very necessary for Bengals Depth. I don’t think the front office will be willing to pay Pat Sims enough to stay, and DT depth is what stops 4th quarter comeback drives. Leon will be back and healthy, but we need a guy who can cover the speedsters past 40 yards from scrimmage, where Leon’s less effective.

According to ScoutsInc. The first-round talent is loaded with defensive linemen and cornerbacks, but not many safeties. The Bengals need one, but perhaps Taylor Mays or Robert Sands could ascend to that role.

7. Chaz (Siegfried and Rey) says:

Nate –

I think Reggie Nelson has locked down FS for the projected future. He’s better in coverage than most of the others (barring a surprise ascension of Mays, Sands, Miles, or anyone), and Mays (weaker in coverage) is Zimmer’s dream SS – he hits as hard as Roy Williams did, ridiculously fast, and is supposedly coming along well with the playbook (Marvin is happy with his progress). I don’t see Safety as a huge need right now, and while I would love to find the next Reed or Polamalu as much as the next guy, we’re thin at CB and can never have enough D-line depth with Fanene and Sims’ contracts up.

I agree that corner is the biggest need. They can’t have enough depth there, even with Hall and Clements back next year and if they bring Jones back. But will they go with Hall, Clements, Jones and Jennings again next year? That’s 4 first round picks… at least on paper.
    I say that OG is the next biggest need. Bobbie Williams contract is up this year, and I have a hard time thinking they will bring him back over Clint Boling. If Williams goes, they need a guard anyway. But the running attack just needs more punch. But unfortunately, there are not any OGs in the bottom half of the first round right now, unless someone falls as the deck reshuffles in February and March.
    RB is a big need in my mind. But with the Bengals’ track record with high RB picks, no way. I can’t sentence another guy to a career-ending knee injury. And we still have never seen what Peerman could do.
    Since OGs are sparse and DTs & LBs are plentiful, I would not argue with taking either of those positions. Fanene wanted a big contract this past offseason and couldn’t find one, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he tried again. Brandon Johnson also wants a starting gig, so he may need to be replaced if he can find one.

I’d put cornerback as a huge need as well. Pac Man and Clements are older, Jennings may be best as a nickel player, and Hall might need two years to fully recover. That should make for a high cornerback draft pick. On a side note, Trent Richardson is reported to be returning to Bama next season. So those trade up scenarios are now a moot point.

10. Eric says:

I like running back or Wide receiver with one of the picks, but the other has to go to the secondary–either safety or corner.

11. James says:

I think it would be great to get top-tier corner back. I haven’t seen many this year, but that is definitely a need. Robert Blanton from Notre Dame could be good