July 30, 2014

Gruden to stay in Cincinnati

Jay Gruden is loyal. Now lets just hope he can expand his offense to be able to compete for 4 quarters with the rest of the NFL.

Gruden told the Rams and the Jaguars he will not interview for their head coaching positions.  Personally, I think he was a long long shot to actually land either job. But by turning them down he is informing the Bengals that he is happy where he is, and well, that makes us happy.

Now, with a full offseason, some guys with at least 1 season of experience under their belts, lets see what Gruden can do to have an offense that can put 4 quarters together. If he can, the Bengals have a chance of being very successful in the future.

WhoDey

Comments

With a full offseason to work and plan, I am looking forward to the Gruden’s ice cream factory to begin pumping out flavors other than vanilla.

Classy move by Gruden. Most people would have run for the hills and started looking out for themselves. Instead, Jay stayed loyal to a team that took a chance on him. That’s very refreshing in the often me-first world of coaching. Gruden deserves a ton of credit for what he accomplished this season. Even though the offense underwhelmed at times, you can’t forget that a rookie quarterback – with virtually no offseason – was in charge. He put Dalton and everyone around him in situations in which they could be successful and gave the team a chance to win almost every game. Bravo Jay for the past season and for staying put. I’m looking forward to 2012.

This isn’t a rip on Gruden. He did a phenomenal job under difficult circumstances. I give him a tom of credit for that. On the other hand, in all three rematch games this season (Steelers, Ravens, Texans), the offense was less effective the second time. A lot less effective. I understand why the offense had to be pretty vanilla (and vanilla was still enough to get them to 9-8), but I’m interested to see what Gruden can do with a full offseason to start cranking out a smorgasbord of winning flavors.

4. Lee says:

I’m excited to see what he can do with the offense with a normal offseason to prepare. It sounds like he wants to get our offense modernized by some of the comments he’s made recently. Like using more than one back, implementing the TE more. Not just your regular run the ball between the tackled 25 times and an occasional deep ball. I understand the argument to have a running game, especially in the abc north. But if your line can’t run block to run in-between the tackles then you have to be more creative on screen plays and such, anyways looking forward to a much better off season then last!

maybe it is time to change the way offenses run in the AFC North?

• Bill says:

I’ll tell you how. A.J. Green + Reggie Wayne + Jordan Shipley + Jermaine Gresham.

Greg Gumbel: “Andy Dalton shattered the all time passing record this year with over 8000 yards! Amazing!” ;)

• Seubs says:

I personally think they need a new offensive line coach. There is no creativity in the running game. Pittsburgh, Houston, Denver, one thing I noticed? The misdirection runs, using the tight ends to pull instead of the guards. The guard pulling power play has been used since 2005. I think teams know its coming. Also, our guards SUCK so none of them can pull effectively. Sorry but Paul Alexander’s got to go.