August 20, 2014

Why Trent Richardson Could Fall to the Bengals

I was all set to write about something else tonight, making a fearless prediction about the Bengals first pick that is still three months away. Then, I noticed something. Most of the teams picking ahead of the Bengals have franchise running backs or more glaring needs. So even though Richardson is ranked as a top 5 player by most experts, he could still fall to the Bengals (via Oakland) at No. 17. Let’s take a look at the draft order provided by ESPN.

1. Indy – The Colts seem set to take Andrew Luck.

2. Rams – Steven Jackson is getting older, but he’s still productive. And the Rams have holes everywhere.

3. Vikings – Toby Gerhart is behind Adrian Peterson in case his injuries persist.

4. Browns – A quick survey of one Browns fan resulted in a Justin Blackmon prediction. Richardson could be a possibility with Peyton Hillis potentially on the way out, but Montario Hardesty is behind him.

5. Buccaneers – LeGarrette Blount is still young and is productive when healthy.

6. Redskins – The Redskins could use a quarterback more than a running back.

7. Jaguars – Maurice Jones-Drew is awesome at any age and the Jags need help at receiver.

*8. Panthers – DeAngelo Williams was re-signed last season. Cam Newton could use more receivers though.

*9. Dolphins – Reggie Bush is there, as is Daniel Thomas last year’s selection.

*10. Bills – The Bills have a solid two-headed monster in Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

*11. Chiefs – Jamaal Charles should return to health.

(*Coin flips will determine order for Panthers/Dolphins and Bills/Chiefs)

12. Seahawks – Marshawn Lynch loves Skittles. And the Seahawks love him.

13. Cardinals – The Cardinals have both Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams, who should return this year.

14. Cowboys – DeMarco Murray excelled as a rookie rusher for Dallas.

15. Eagles – LeSean McCoy had a terrific season and the Eagles could use help in other areas.

16. Jets – Richardson could easily fall here, with a team looking to revive a quarterback’s career. But if he doesn’t…

17. Bengals – It’s hard to believe, but it could happen. There’s a sense that running backs aren’t as valued as they used to be. Plus, as I’ve illustrated, most of the teams in front of Cincinnati have more presing needs somewhere else. So the Bengals could get an unexpected shot at Richardson and could maybe even move up ahead of the Jets to snag him a few picks earlier at a small price. If Richardson did land in Cincinnati next to A.J. Green and Andy Dalton, the Bengals would have their own version of the triplets that thrived in Indianapolis (Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Edge James) a few years ago.

Now, if that doesn’t get you excited for the draft, I don’t know what does.

Comments

1. Beth in Rowlett, TX says:

I think my favorite part of this, is that your example for the”triplets,” was Indy, & not the fricking Cowboys!

It’s been a while since the Cowboys were elite. Indy is the most recent example of a team that had a trio of explosive skill position players.

Interesting find, Nate. But would the Bengals value Richardson enough to trade up a few spots to get him? They tend to be more of a “wait and see if he falls” type of organization. And I don’t see him getting past the Jets.

I generally would argue that improving the offensive line will make any running back better, then make a case for taking an OG instead. But if Richardson were still there, I would have to make an exception to that line of logic.

I’d take him. And I think Cincy might be willing to do it. They tried to trade up to get Dalton last year but couldn’t quite work it out.

5. Lee says:

I don’t see the point in trading palmer to get all these extra picks and the turn around and get rid of them just to move up a couple of spots to snag a RB. We need O-line help and DB help, so use the first two picks there (obviously only if graded there). I say draft a RB in the second or third round. Hey how about Pead from UC, hell be there in later rounds and looks like a run and pass catcher.

6. Eric says:

I don’t think they have to get a RB in round one. I’d really rather them look at OG, CB, and Safety. Even WR first. You are right that RB’s are not as valued these days, and for good reason. You can get a good one in round 2, 3, or 4 that can produce. Arian Foster=UFA, Demarco Murray was a 3rd rounder. The Cowboys have a first round back in Felix Jones, who can’t stay healthy.

Besides, our franchise drafted Ki-Jana Carter and Chris Perry in round one, but got Corey Dillon in round 2 and Rudi Johnson in round 4

If Richardson is there and is the highest rated player on the board, then pull the trigger, but otherwise, go somewhere else.

7. WHO DEstiny!!! (formerly known as the Eternal Who Dey Optimist) says:

I agree to take him if he falls, but that said I don’t think he falls. If one of the teams in front of us doesn’t take him, another team will likely trade up to do so.

I wouldn’t trade a good pick to move up, but if a top 5 talent is there near No. 17, and it only takes something like a 4th rounder to move up – who might not make this talented team anyway – I’d do it. They still will be able to target those other positions with their other picks in the first 3 rounds.

Trackbacks

1. [...] was going to review tight ends next. But when I saw Nate’s post considering the possibility that Trent Richardson could slip to the Bengals at #17, I had to switch [...]