Free Agent Targets: Wide Receiver

Could Meachem be a Bengal in 2012?

Agree 100% that the Bengals need to address the #2 WR spot with a free agent. They don’t have a guy ready to step up to that spot, and they can’t wait a year for a draft pick to develop. Plus, they need to use their high draft picks elsewhere.

Whoever they bring in, he must be willing to block. No divas. Any of these guys (or my personal preference, Reggie Wayne) would be outstanding, but I am prepping myself for a less splashy name, which could still be OK if he is a Kevin Walter type.

Although there’s no denying Wayne’s talent, I think the Bengals should go younger. They’re set up to be good for a number of years so they might as well get someone in his prime.

I normally would agree with you about the age thing. But Reggie is the exception for me. I’ve watched the Colts pretty closely for several years, and he still has gas left in the tank. I wouldn’t see keeping him more than two years though, allowing the Bengals to draft his replacement in 2013.

I think the price for Manningham just went up.

4. Juniversal says:

I would love Robert Meachem on the team. I think he’d be a great #2 and compliment to AJ. He’s never had a completion percentage lower then 60%. Every year besides his rookie year he’s been around 65% and he rarely drops balls. Not to mention he can stretch the field and has the ability to get yards after the catch.

I like Jerome but he only caught 47% of passes thrown his way and had 8 drops. I see a guy like Meachem being the perfect solution at #2 to draw coverage away from AJ and an additional a weapon in the pass game.

Mike Brown was willing to spend money on the likes of laverneous coles and Antonio Bryant so I hope he’d be willing to make sure he gets a respectable guy like Meachem (or the other names on the list) who would likely be less expensive.

As much as Mike Brown’s wallet dislikes spending money… if he is going to spend it, wide receiver is the most likely position that he will spend it on. He does like receivers.

I’m with Junie on this one. Meachem is the best of the bunch: big, fast, and fairly young. I’m not sure how other teams will view him, but he should be one of the Bengals top targets.