WhoDeyFans Exclusive: Todd McShay on the Bengals Draft

Todd McShay offered up some interesting possibilities for the Bengals' draft.
  1. CK says:

Hopefully Muckleroy will be ready to play. Would hate to have to draft another backer because one douchebag can’t stay off the sauce…

I was intrigued by what Muckelroy did in his rookie season. He was a tackle machine for some good teams at Texas too. I think he’ll have a chance to play with Rey facing a possible 4 game suspension. Perhaps Brandon Johnson might be back now as well.

1. CK says:

Coaches love him. And yes, he was a tackle machine. Rumor was that he could’ve started over Rey.

3. Travis says:

Using the 17th pick for a corner is a smart move. All Bengal fans know we have to replace JJ. I like Stephon Gilmore. Size and speed, and played in tough SEC. I don’t like SEC running backs thou. Something bout them idk… seems like there injury pron. Rough league with a lot of good defensive players. T Rich already has a lot of carries under his belt. Looking RB i would have to take Doug Martin. Ray Rice clone without all the carries and physical punishment T Rich has taken in his college career. Wheather they trade 21st pick or not CB and RB needs to be adressed in first 3 Rds. And we cant forget OG…

If McShay is talking about the Bengals trading pick #21 to one of the 11 teams picking after them in the first round to take their first and either their second or third round picks (depending on their spot and the combined value of those picks), I would consider that a good move.

I would also be OK with trading pick #21 to get two seconds, giving the Bengals three seconds in total. Only the Eagles and Pats have two seconds right now, although draft day trades could change that, but this scenario is unlikely.

But I would not want them to give up a first to get a second and a third.

1. Eric says:

Bill,

What about a second and a first in 2013? That’s how NE always has 2 first rounders.

5. Drake says:

That’s stupid. In a deep draft at the positions of need up keep both picks and fill holes now to be able to dethrone the old and aging rivals of the division. Don’t try to outsmart yourself like belilicheck has done recently constantly passing up on picking in the first to stockpile lower picks which amount to nobodies most of the time.. I’d love if thy could land decastro at guard and one of the corners

I think it depends on what you have to give up to leapfrog a few teams. If you’re just moving up in front of the Jets (a few picks) to get an elite talent, I think they should do it. That would probably cost only a late round pick that might not make the team anyway.