Offseason Wish List: Cake?

With the right moves this offseason, the Bengals can have their cake and eat it too.
  1. PorkChop says:

Sounds good but I heard Simms wants to test the market for a starting role. I really feel we need a CB in rd 1 and another in a later round. If FA goes as your wish list goes then we should go all in for Richardson. Pass rusher in FA would be nice and with the situation in Huston; might be a awesome one going to FA and we got plenty of room under cap to bring him in. WhoDey!

2. Travis says:

With all the cap space we have i think we need to decide on which FA’s to go after and go hard. I like your idea bout getting Grubbs. You made all the right points on why we should. I like Meachem as well. There are so many FA WR (Garcon) that I’m confident we get a good one. If I’m right about this one Tracy Porter is another Saint that they might not be able to keep. He could fill a need real quick. Sign our guys back Like Fanene, Nelson, and I totally agree with you about Jennings. He stepped up last yr when his name was called. We tag Nugent. I differ a little on Simms. I like Rucker better there. As for the draft, and as we all know its going to depend on how FA goes, and if it goes down like we agree then you load up the D in the 1st Rd. At 17 we go CB and at 21 we go CB. come back in Rd 2 and get our RB. T.Rich is nice and if he’s there at 17 (which he won’t) you grab him without hesitation. But remember that there are at least 4 other RB’s in this yrs draft that I’m good with. My personal fav is D.Martin. He’s is #2 on my top 5 RB’s esp. cause of what we could get before him and where we can get him. So my list includes: Grubbs, Meachem or Garcon, maybe Tracy Porter, get our guys back I named, and load up the D in 1st Rd and get D.Martin in 2nd. After that we filling up on cake and winning AFC North. WHODEYALLDAY!!!

1. Make a statement to the NFL that the Bengals are serious about winning by signing a couple of good free agents: Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs (probably Grubbs since Nicks will likely get tagged) at OG and serious threat as a #2 WR, like Meachem, Stevie Johnson, Wayne, or someone else on that level.

2. Draft a productive RB and another guard for depth. If the comparisons to AP are legit, I’m OK with being a little aggressive to get Richardson. I’m OK with waiting on a guy like Martin too. But they have to improve the O-line at the same time. (The last thing I want is to see yet another high RB pick go down with a knee injury.) But with a better run blocking line and productive running game, this offense will improve significantly.

3. Re-sign at least two of Fanene, Rucker and Sims. The D-line was the heart of the defense, and they have to keep that going. Re-sign Manny Lawson, Brandon Johnson and Reggie Nelson. I wasn’t thrilled with Jennings, but they need bodies with experience at CB so re-signing him and bringing in another decent CB (I’m not calling for great on this one) would be smart.

4. With those moves — and it’s only 3 new guys — the draft is wide open to bring in solid character guys (and not ‘redemption’ candidates). I lean toward defense early since offense has gotten more of the high picks over the past few years, but a RB should be taken in the first two rounds.

1. Travis says:

Sounds great Bill except one thing. NO Stevie Johnson!!!! I think I’d rather have Caldwell back. And I’m going to say it again I think D.Martin is the player to get.

I stand corrected. I forgot about how he was a baby at times last year.

2. ItsSkylineTime says:

Agreed on Martin, Bill, he’s the back I’d target. Perfect fit for this offense and what we need at that position right now. And the price is right, too, because he can be had in the second round.

4. Eric says:

I may get beat up for this, but I want to caution us not to overspend, and not to go too crazy for free agents. I want only free agents that are heading into their prime (not out of it), and are hungry to make a step up. I like Meachem in that regard, but maybe not Grubbs. The new salary restrictions on rookies has opened up an opportunity to build and maintain a great roster without being forced to let as many guys walk.

Most importantly, the team must draft wisely. If they can hit homers in the first 2 rounds (3 players), they can really set up for the future adding those guys to AJ and Andy.

and I hope by Trent Richardson being compared to AP that won’t include the injury issues Peterson has had.

5. ItsSkylineTime says:

1. Totally with you on Grubbs.

2. With you on Meachem, too, he’s an underrated (and cheaper) choice that could be a nice fit with the other weapons.

3. With you on Sims and Nelson, for sure. Any of the others I wouldn’t go crazy to keep, they’re just replacement level guys.

4. Absolutely with you on the draft. Gotta take Richardson if he’s there (although I would not move up). Next priority is DeCastro or Glenn ( can you imagine a Whitworth, DeCastro, Cook, Grubbs, Smith line?).

5. The tough pick will be 21 if Richardson was gone and they go guard at No. 17. It’s too early for an RB or any of the remaining corners and if they sign a Meachem, they wouldn’t need the ND WR or Hill, the flyer from Ga Tech) at that spot. I might even suggest trading down at that point to pick up another No. 2, then going RB later in Round 1 (best available) and going CB/DL with the two second round picks.

Re #4: If many of us could have had our way, we would be working with a line of Whitworth-Mathis-Cook-Smith-Collins. And we wouldn’t need to be talking about Grubbs. But Paul Alexander made it very clear a year ago what he thought of our opinions.

1. ItsSkylineTime says:

Sad, but true, Bill. Playing most of this past season with Livings and McGlynn/Boling at guard (while making no use of Collins) was ridiculous, and it didn’t have to be that way. That said, I think a Whit, DeCastro/Glenn, Cook, Grubbs, Smith lineup is even better, albeit more expensive. Luckily, they’re so far under the cap they could easily afford to roll that group out there.

This draft is so deep at defensive tackle, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bengals went there at 21. Peko isn’t getting any younger and Sims could be leaving. Given Rey Maualuga’s situation, linebacker wouldn’t be terrible either. Depending on how free agency plays out, the Bengals could be looking at a number of positions in the draft.

7. Vince says:

I have heard some talk of adding Michael Bush from the Raiders. It makes sense for him to come here, he’s from Louisville and would be playing with his former HC, Hue Jackson. This could be a great addition and reach out and get a reliable WR, Meachem or Garcon. Grubbs would be nice, but I don’t know how realistic that would be, especially if we might have opportunities to get a gaurd in DeCastro or Glenn in the draft.

It would be a dream team to see the Bengals add Grubbs plus DeCastro/Glenn, but come on now, do you really see Mike Brown spending the money to add Grubbs? Makes perfect sense to me and the rest of Bengal nation, but c’mon how many clear cut decisions has Mike missed on in the past? I don’t see him pulling the trigger on Grubbs.