April 18, 2014

Who Is Your Favorite Draft Pick?

Marvin and the PBS war room did the nearly impossible: they have elicited praise from the national sports media for their draft. High praise. And they deserve it. From everything we can know at this point, they did an outstanding job, matching need with value with pick after pick.

With all of these great picks to choose from, which one are you most excited about seeing play at PBS in a few short months?

Look through the list of draft picks one more time before making your choice.

• 1.17: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
  • 1.27: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
  • 2.21: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
  • 3.20: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
  • 3.31: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
  • 4.21: Orson Charles, TE, Georgia
  • 5.21: Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa
  • 5.31: Marvin Jones, WR, Cal
  • 5.32: George Iloka, S, Boise State
  • 6.21: Dan Herron, RB, Ohio State

Almost all of these guys have the potential to make the team, and several of them could be starters before long.

Now that you have had nearly a week to get to know all of these guys, which one are you stoked about seeing in a Bengals uniform? Who do you think will make the biggest impact from this draft class? (A legitimate case could be made for at least half of the list, so step up to the keyboard and make the case for your guy.)

The guy that I am most excited to see is Devon Still. The 2011 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, he lives in the opponent’s backfield. I can’t wait to see what he can do while lined up next to Geno Atkins. (If you haven’t watched the highlights of Still posted by Number 1 Fan, do it. I’ve watched it 4 times already, and I am still in awe.)

Comments

1. Boomer Lion says:

Devon Still. Haven’t seen him apart from highlight videos, but from his scouting reports it seems like they may be able to forge him into a big nasty 4-3 NT who can dominate the run and get to the passer. I remember that the first few mocks after the season had him as the first DT off the board (usually to the Panthers); the consensus is that he was a first round type of talent – gotta love picking him up in the second.

2. ItsSkylineTime says:

He wasn’t a draft pick, but my favorite move was signing Vontaze Burfict. Can’t wait to open that can of crazy on the Steelers. My only regret is that Hines Ward won’t be around to get his due.

• Bill says:

Holy crap, do I hope that Marvin and Zim can help this kid put it all together!! He looks like he could become the enforcer that Marvin has sought since parting with Ray Lewis. I love, love, love how he hits!! The Bengals took flak for signing him, but I could care less. As a UDFA, they are playing with house money on this bet!!

3. Sean says:

I’ll start by saying this, I’m very happy with the fact that three of the first five picks were lineman. But my favorite has to be Zeitler. Intelligent and athletic offensive lineman is something our bengals can’t have enough of. I’m gonna miss Bobby and his leadership but I’m more than satisfied with his replacement.

4. Sean says:

Sanu, dude has great hands and is an excellent blocker, i think hell be a great number 2!

5. Brad says:

I feel like I have to say the Zeitler pick as it fills a position of need with a great player, and also netted us a DT built like an Abrahms Tank who is 7 shades of nasty. (and yet seems like a person I would have a beer with off the field.)

But the pick I would point to is the Iloka pick. As the NFL offensive tactics change, so must the D. I think the Saftey position will see major changes and the SS player as a breed will morph into a very different player. Teams need to be able to account for the new pass catching TE’s and demonstrate far better coverage skills while still be able to help a little in run support. Also, I can see this new kind of secondary player helping mask coverages and making it a little harder on QB’s.