Who Makes The Cut? WR Edition

mohamed-sanu
  1. Juniversal says:

This off season will be interesting when it comes to the WR position. I have no clue who will make it as our #2. Jones certainly has the attributes you look for in a #2 but inexperience is a concern (as is the case with the other guys).

2. Rock says:

Hi Bill,

Curious to know what the skills are that Moore lacks that will prevent him from making the roster? Thanks

Moore certainly has the speed, and that gives him a shot. But he lacks size, both in height (5’9″) and weight (180 lbs). The Bengals generally like their receivers tall, although Andrew Hawkins is smaller than Moore.

With all of these guys to choose from, I don’t see the Bengals keeping two guys their size. Both are great guys. Hawkins has the advantage of a year in Gruden’s system. If Moore does make the team, I’m guessing it comes at Hawkins’ expense.

1. Rock says:

Bill,

The NFL is a copycat league. Every team is looking for the next Wes Welker or Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown. Hawkins is only 5’7. He won’t be used to stretch the field like a Steve Smith of Carolina, also 5’9, or Desean Jackson. There is a reason why they have Moore learning the Z and the slot. Some fans are trying to pigeon hole Moore in the slot only. The double move against Kirpatrick for the long Td came from the Z, not the slot.

1. Rock says:

Bill,

There are exceptions to the protype size that you refer to. The exception here is the 9 5/8″ hands, 43.5″ vertical, 75 1/2″ wingspan, 19 bench press that Moore possesses along with his speed.

Rock, I love that you want to fight for this guy. Keep it up. If he can prove himself as one of the best 6 WRs in camp, I’m all for him. His speed and character are great. But the knocks on him are that he struggles against press coverage, struggles in traffic, and gets knocked off his route. Technique is fixable, but size isn’t. Small guys should not be automatically DQ’ed, but it does cause him problems with fighting off coverage and sustaining blocks.

I would much rather the team work him at the Z though. They have too many slot guys as it is.

1. Rock says:

Bill,

We will have to wait and see if the knocks you mention become a factor. FYI, Sanu and Moore each had 19 on the bench press. Speed, strength and leverage would seem to favor Moore. We will just have to wait and see.

If he can have that kind of performance again at OTAs, he’ll have my attention. Like I said, if he can earn his way on to the team, more power to him, and I’ll be glad to have him because he would have beaten out some pretty good competition.

1. Rock says:

Shipley is just a shell of himself. The performance in camp so far is:

1. AJ Green