November 26, 2014

Projecting The Defensive Roster

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinions about how you think the Bengals’ roster will shape up over the coming months. The great thing about discussions like this is that anything can still happen for the guys we like, and we can all learn something from each other, so keep those comments coming.

While I am not as secure with the backfield as I would like to be, I think the 2012 defense will be improved from the previous year’s model: better horsepower, quicker acceleration and improved traction. The defense will continue to be the better unit, although the offense should close the gap a bit.

OFFENSIVE ROSTER PROJECTION
Pos Starter Backup Practice Squad Miss The Team
CB1 Leon Hall Nate Clements Brandon Ghee Terence Newman, Reuben Haley
CB2 Dre Kirkpatrick Shaun Prater
CB3 Jason Allen Adam Jones
FS Reggie Nelson Jeromy Miles Tony Dye Robert Sands, Patrick McClellan
SS Taylor Mays George Iloka
OLB1 Manny Lawson Dontay Moch Vincent Rey Dan Skuta, Emmanuel Lamur, Micah Johnson, Grant Hunter, Brandon Joiner
ILB Rey Maualuga Vontaze Burfict
OLB2 Thomas Howard Roddrick Muckelroy DeQuin Evans
DE1 Carlos Dunlap Robert Geathers Derrick Harvey
DE2 Michael Johnson Jamaal Anderson
DT1 Domata Peko Devon Still
DT2 Geno Atkins Pat Sims
Brandon Thompson
Nick Hayden

The picks at linebacker are by far the toughest. Putting a guy with the experience of Skuta on the street in favor of of Burfict is crazy on one level. But unless Burfict implodes during camp, I really think Marvin wants him, and he might not clear waivers to be signed to the practice squad. Knowing if Moch’s migraine issues have cleared up would also be helpful, as the Bengals carrying him through another season with that problem is doubtful.

Also, does anyone agree with the rumors that Nate Clements is at risk of being cut because of age and salary? I do not, but I would love to hear an argument from the other side.

Comments

1. Lawless_1 says:

Iloka is a FS. I could see them move Reggie to SS and Iloka start at FS.

• Patrick says:

No, Taylor Mays will be our starter. We’ll make S.F wish they hadn’t just given him away. Zimmer is turning this kid into a beast! Taylor Mays will play well this year as our starting SS and he is better than IIoka.

2. Diamong says:

I think Skuta makes the team and is our Game 1 starter on MNF. I’m assuming that Maualuga gets suspended for the first game or two. I see know way that Burfict is ready to start in Week 1 at a position as important as ILB. Even if he can play the position, is he really ready to be calling the plays on the field?

I’m also wondering about the idea that Clements moves to Safety and Hall starts on PUP. Kirkpatrick and Allen/Newman start at CB in that case. With Moch’s suspension, we definitely need another LB. I would LOVE to get Brandon Johnson back for another season…or two.

3. Success & Determination says:

Patrick. YOU ARE ON POINT!! with the Mays comment. This is the year for it all to happen.

4. Whodey? says:

Bengals defensive line rotation will be scary I’ll give you that.

5. Antoniomagon says:

If Maualuga and Moch are suspended, there will be two temporary open spots for Skuta and Rey or Evans.
    If Hall is put on PUP list, there will be a spot for Newman.
    I don’t see Dye over Sands for PS.
    I don’t sure if Harvey has PS eligibility.
    Agree with the rest.